1. Have you seen a lot of other stories start this way?
If you’ve seen it before numerous times, your starting place could be on its way to becoming a cliche. If readers see a cliche right at the beginning, then they might not want to read any further.
2. Does this raise questions?
A good way to keep people reading is to keep their curiosity piqued.
3. Are people going to have to slog through this to get to the good parts?
If so, I would suggest changing it. Your story shouldn’t start off weak and get stronger later on. It should be strong throughout.
4. Is this the absolute best point to start it at?
5. How will the things I’m mentioning now just to get the reader’s attention impact things later on?
The follower of the day is blissfullyblogging.