I’m not saying to never use these words. Just make sure that your sentences don’t contain too many of them.
- That — often put in as a filler word.
- Had — same thing.
- Color words — used lots of times as ways to give something more description. They often aren’t needed. If the grass is purple, point it out. I think I can guess it when the grass is green.
- Hair — a lot of times, I see a character’s hair described every single time that character is in a scene.
- Pleonasms — it almost goes without saying.
- Strife — it’s a decent word that everybody knows, but it leaves a bad taste in my mouth because I never really see it outside of people trying to sound fancy.
- Doom — It used to be used a lot more, making even minimal usage today sound silly.
- Neutron — it’s a normal little particle in an atom’s nucleus, not a catch-all term synonymous with magic.