- I want characters I can relate to. I’ve only read about a small handful, so I’ll gladly settle for characters that are both odd and fleshed out.
- I want a setting I’ve never read about before. I mostly read fantasy and science fiction because they take me to new places that present unique problems.
- I want clear prose. Words can be poetic without being fluffy.
- I want an ending that that’s foreshadowed without being predictable.
- I want a new premise that stays with me for a long time. This is another reason I mostly read science fiction and fantasy.
- I want to root for a character so badly that I shout advice to them while I read.
- I want literary techniques to be subtle enough that I don’t roll my eyes at them.
- I want as little romance as possible.
- I want to put down the story so desperate for more that I look up the author and read more of their works.
What do you want in a story? Do you share some of my preferences? Are there things on my list that you can’t stand? Reblog with your personal list!